SHIP REGISTRATION UNDER JAMAICA FLAG
MARITIME AUTHORITY OF JAMAICA
The Maritime Authority’s responsibilities include:
- Registration of ships;
- Regulation of safety, with regard to the construction, seaworthiness and navigation of vessels;
- Certification of seafarers and the inspection of vessels to insure compliance with safety and environmental standards.
With its strong commitment to safety of life at sea and the protection of the marine environment, the Maritime Authority requires high standards of safety, security and management of vessels proposed for registration under the Jamaican Flag.
SHIP REGISTRATION SERVICES
Our DESIGNATED OFFICE on behalf of Maritime Administration of Jamaica (MAJ) offers a wide range of Registration options to suit every need including:
- Provisional registration
- Permanent registration
- Bareboat Charter (IN/OUT)
- Ships under construction
- Mortgage registration
- Yacht registration
The Maritime Authority of Jamaica employs its own highly trained surveyors to undertake ship inspections and to assist owners in correcting deficiencies that may arise. The Authority firmly believes that in developing a relationship between its surveyors, owners and managers of vessels registered in Jamaica, mutual advantages will evolve.
The MAJ has established agreements with IACS members to conduct statutory surveys on its behalf.
MANNING AND CERTIFICATION
No nationality restrictions on officers or crew.
Crew certification from IMO "white listed" countries recognized.
MODERN LEGAL REGIME
The Jamaican Legal System is based on English Common Law. The Shipping Act 1998 provides a modern legal framework for the operation of a competitive International Ship Registry.
The Shipping Act:
- makes full provision for modern trends in relation to ownership and registration,
- provides simplified yet secure mortgage recording ,
- implements all major IMO Conventions.
- Network of Embassies and Consuls worldwide to provide support to Jamaican ships
- Double Taxation Agreements with many countries (USA, Canada, UK, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, China, Israel, France and Caribbean Community countries)
- Skilled and efficient registry staff to serve your needs
No restrictions on the nationality of individuals or entities that may own Jamaican ships.