According to international rules, every state, regardless of whether it is coastal or landlocked, has the right to ensure that ships flying its flag can sail on the high seas. Each vessel has the nationality of the state under the flag of which it is registered and operates.
REGISTER OF SHIPS
The Flag State maintains a register of ships flying its flag. Recordings are carried out in accordance with the Code of this state, as well as in accordance with the provisions of International Conventions. Records of ships that, in accordance with the laws and regulations of the state, are entitled to fly its flag, are entered in such a Book (Register) with the name of the owner or owners or, if provided by national laws and regulations, the charterer of the ship.
The flag State has a competent maritime administration under its direction and control. The Maritime Administration of such a state monitors the implementation of rules and regulations in accordance with international and national agreements, as well as compliance with the legal aspects of shipping.
The flag state maritime administration ensures:
- control over the observance of international laws and regulations for ships operating under the flag of this state;
- control over the implementation of the survey of the ship by authorized inspectors in order to comply with applicable international rules and regulations;
- the presence on the vessel of the relevant necessary documents (confirming the right to fly the flag, the right to property, required by international conventions and agreements, of which this state is a member, etc.);
- application of the principles of registration of ships in accordance with the laws and regulations of such a state and the provisions of the relevant Conventions and agreements, as well as amendments thereto.
- The State of Registry requires the provision of all relevant information necessary for full identification and accountability in relation to ships flying its flag.
For a ship-owner, choosing a flag is one of the main business decisions. For the country registering ships under its flag, this action implies liability other than income. For international organizations such as the International Maritime Organization (IMO), the International Labor Organization (ILO), the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), as well as for national governments interested in clean oceans and safe shipping, compliance with international environmental, labor standards, and safety regulations are in high priority and closely related to the flag of the vessel.
We will help you with the choice of the flag, provide fast and high-quality registration of your vessel, as well as provide services for maintaining registration throughout the entire period of the vessel's stay in the Register of your choice.
When registering, we not only provide the procedure itself, but also provide ongoing consultation on various issues (choice of jurisdiction, registration procedure, further annual renewal, etc.).