The procedure for registration of a pleasure yacht under the flag of Palau consists of two stages:
PROVISIONAL REGISTRATION OF PLEASURE YACHT IN PALAU
According to the Merchant Shipping Code, 1989, the provisional registration of pleasure yachts is valid for 6 months. During this term, the owner or his representative provides all the documents necessary for the permanent registration of the yacht.
The following documents required for provisional pleasure yacht registration:
- Application for Vessel Acceptance
- A copy of Previous Ship Station License
- Application form for pleasure yacht registration (Appl. A037).
- Application form for radio license - basic details (if the yacht has radio equipment).
- Current Certificate of Registry if the yacht is registered under another flag.
- Power of Attorney or Article of Incorporation as Proof of Authority for the person signing the application form or a copy of the passport (if submitted by individuals).
- Proof of Ownership such as Bill of Sale, Builder’s Certificate, duly certified (notarized).
- A copy of the passport of the person who signed the application form.
- The Administration may issue a Pleasure Yacht Document of Compliance in respect of the yacht for which an inspection report has been obtained. All yachts of 24 meters and above must comply with the International Ships Measurement Convention, 1969. Tonnage of yachts less than 24 meters must be measured using the simplified method of the Palau Pleasure Yacht Safety Standards.
PERMANENT REGISTRATION OF PLEASURE YACHT IN PALAU
The following documents required for permanent pleasure yacht registration:
- Deletion certificate from the previous registry
- Picture of the yacht (visible markings/name of the ship/IMO number/port of registry)
Please note that documents must be in English or accompanied by an appropriate notarized translation to English.