The procedure for registration of a pleasure yacht under the flag of Panama consists of two stages:
PROVISIONAL REGISTRATION OF PLEASURE YACHT IN PANAMA
According to the Merchant Shipping Code, 1989, the provisional registration of pleasure yachts is valid for 6 months. During this term, the owner or his representative provides all the documents necessary for the permanent registration of the yacht.
The following documents required for provisional pleasure yacht registration:
- A certificate from the owners stating that the yacht will be used for pleasure and not commercial activities. (This document must be notarized by the Consulate of Panama at the place of issue or duly legalized with apostille).
- Application form for a newly built or used yacht that was previously registered under a different flag.
PERMANENT REGISTRATION OF PLEASURE YACHT IN PANAMA
The following documents required for permanent pleasure yacht registration:
- Original statement of the yacht owner for yacht registration
- Original Power of Attorney in the name of the agent for yacht registration in Panama
- Original Bill of Sale signed by the seller and the buyer, notarized and legalized, or, if the yacht is newly built, Builder’s Certificate
- Deletion certificate issued by the previous registry (if applicable). If the yacht is newly built and has not previously been registered in any port, Builder’s Certificate must be provided. Both documents must be notarized and legalized.
- The original of the Power of Attorney notarized and legalized.
- Completed application form for obtaining a radio license
Please note that documents must be in English or accompanied by an appropriate translation to English.